Seniors Having Similar Summer Experiences
By Judah Schuster, LNHA
Summer is a time of year that brings a sense of relaxation. Schools are out, camps are in full swing, work is more relaxed, the weather is nice, vacations are planned, outdoor outings and BBQs are on the to-do lists.
We all take some time to enjoy few of these seasonal experiences because we have a way to get there and people with us to share the joy.
Many seniors would love to experience these simple summer pleasures but are unable due to their reliance on others for care. With a bit of forward thinking, we can ensure that all around us have similar summer experiences.
Here are 4 ways to have fun with seniors this summer:
- A walk on the beach and the opportunity to run one’s hands and feet through the sand:
- Use a portable wheelchair
- Contact the beach in advance to learn about their handicapped accessibility
- Ensure proper restroom accommodations
- Don’t forget the sun screen, sunglasses and a hat
- Trip to the ice cream parlor
- Check the senior’s diet in advance
- Verify any allergies that there might be
- Contact the ice cream parlor in advance to learn about their handicapped accessibility
- Barbeque delicacies
- Check the diet and if food needs to be chopped or pureed
- Prepare for any hazards that might be present
- Inquire about noise volume
- Walk through the park
- Follow the paved path
- Apply bug repellant
- Bring some sports equipment, bubbles and plenty of drinks
- Go to a baseball game
- Many stadiums have senior-citizen discounts for select games
- Plan ahead for which foods may be appropriate for the senior’s diet and allergies
- Wear the team’s attire to fit right in to the excitement
With mindful planning, we can assist everyone in having an enjoyable summer!
CareBuilders at Home is a forward thinking home care company that always seeks ideas to add joy and laughter into our healing process. To learn more, visit us at www.CareBuildersatHomeStamford.com
Give us a try with a FREE consultation at your home. Call CareBuilders at Home at (203) 293-9069. You may provide additional information through our contact form or email directly to email@example.com